The Dalai Lama is one of the few religious leaders whose message can cross the boundaries of different religions and who seems to be able to convey huge wisdom in just a few words. He also looks like he’s always so happy and would be easy to approach, and those are more traits that we don’t often associates with religious leaders. Whatever your own thoughts on religion, or Buddhism in particular, you can’t deny that there is a lot of truth in the wise words that this man has to say. Here are just ten of the quotes of the Dalai Lama that I think will strike a chord with most people.
1. “The mind is like a parachute. It works best when it’s open.”
I love this humorous, but very poignant quote from the Dalai Lama. Let’s face it; it’s a sentiment that many people could learn from these days.
2. “This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”
One here for those people who think that their way is the only right way! Going to a church of a particular denomination doesn’t make you any better than the next man, and that’s another lesson that many could do with learning in these troubled times.
3. With the realisation of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
The Dalai Lama also shows that he is a man of the world and not just of dusty old temples and religious ceremonies. Believing in yourself doesn’t make you arrogant; it’s how you gain the courage to achieve your own potential.
4. “Happiness is not something that comes ready-made. It comes from your own actions.”
You can sit around moaning about how bad your luck is, or you can out and have some fun. It’s true that you have to take the decision to be happy, before you can become happy. Like most things, you can’t just sit around and wait for it to happen.
5. "Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it.”
This is an ideal quote for anyone who thinks that they have nothing. When you think about it, we all have this one precious gift that we can be grateful for.
6. “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.”
I must remember this one for my young son, who is always worried that he is not as tall as most of the other students in his class! But, seriously, it’s a great quote that says that no one is insignificant in this world.
7. “Choose to be optimistic, it feels better.”
Sometimes, the play on words that the Dalai Lama uses is just so brilliant, and so true! As they say; always look on the bright side of life.
8. “If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it’s not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.”
Don’t get stressed about the things over which you have no control. It’s very true that many of us worry far too much about the things that we can’t change and, as the man says, that type of worrying is completely useless.
9. “Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.”
I dedicate this Dali Lama quote to my ex-wife! It would have been nice if she’d shut up and looked closer at what was really happening to me, and to our marriage.
10. “Because we all share this planet earth, we have to learn to live in harmony and peace with each other and with nature. This is not just a dream, but a necessity.”
I think that this quote is not just aimed at all those nutters dropping bombs on each other at the moment, but at us all. We are all guilty of showing our intolerance of other people sometimes, and causing friction where there needn’t have been any.
If you want to learn more about the Dalai Lama and his views on life, he has written some amazing inspirational books . One of the Dalai Lama books that I particularly enjoyed was The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living. It’s a great expression of eastern spiritual wisdom, but with a western slant.
Have a great day!
You may also be interested in: